Thursday, March 7, 2013

Where He Leads Me . . . . from "His Kindness Year Round"

I’m enjoying the reflection, the meditation in the Word, the prayer time spent this Lent season with the Lord. It’s amazing the knowledge we gain and understanding we receive when taking some of our busy time and focusing on God.  Ah, the Resurrection season is my favorite time of year!

I’ve had many old hymns upon my mind recently.  One hymn written by Ernest W. Blandy in the late 1800’s has these words as the refrain:

“Where He leads me I will follow;
Where He leads me I will follow;
Where He leads me I will follow;
I’ll go with Him, with Him, all the way.”

The song wasn’t written in the joyful sense of following Jesus through the flower gardens of life. Instead, if we glance at the four verses of the hymn, verse one implies when you hear your Savior calling, are you willing to “Take thy cross and follow, follow me.”?  Jesus is asking if you will go with Him, follow Him, through the joys and the trials.  Not one or the other, but both.  We can’t pick and choose what we will do for Him and what we won’t.

The second verse states “I’ll go with Him through the garden”, meaning the Garden of Gethsemane the evening He and a few disciples went to pray.  Will you go with Him?  If so, will you pray with Him, or fall asleep? 

Verse three affirms “I’ll go with Him through the judgment”.  This doesn’t refer to our judgment by Jesus, but the judgment He endured, His trial, before His crucifixion.  Would you go with Him through the judgment, or deny knowing Him?

As the refrain reiterates, “I’ll go with Him, with Him, all the way.”  I’ll go with Him through the garden; I’ll go with Him through the judgment.  “Where He leads me, I will follow, I’ll go with Him, with Him, all the way.”  Not only days we ‘feel’ like it.  Not only days in which we have nothing else to do.  Not only days He’s seeking something we think is easy or pleasurable.  But everyday.  Through it all.

And verse four – oh what a victorious few lines, “He will give me grace and glory, and go with me all the way”.  Shout it!  He is supernatural and will give us grace and glory and be with us all the time and all the way!

As we reflect this Resurrection season, remember Jesus came to this earth to teach us and save us, to sacrifice His life for us, to be our Lord and Savior! 

He wants us to follow Him through it all, giving us the promise of His grace and glory on earth and in Heaven.  But He wants us to follow Him, wherever He leads us.  Trust in Him, and follow.

Romans 8:14 “Then He called the crowd to Him along with His disciples and said, “Whoever wants to be My disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow Me.”

Prayerfully, striving to follow Him, your sister,

Robin


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for these words of encouragement. I needed them today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubts, Anne, where He leads you, you are/will follow! Hugs and blessings to you!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete