Thursday, March 28, 2013

Maundy (Holy) Thursday from "His Kindness Year Round"

I trust you’re enjoying your meditation in the Word and basking in the awesomeness of this entire week; the true Holiness of the week.

What a busy day!  I’m referring to almost 2,000 years ago.  We know the happenings of Maundy Thursday and the Last Supper.  We know the events to follow and the outcome.  The disciples, however, did not know this information at the time of the Last Supper.  First, they were astonished at the act of love Jesus displayed when washing His disciples’ feet. 

John 13:34 “A new command I give you:  Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another.”

The final meal with the Lord was indeed an eventful evening.  He was preparing His disciples for His upcoming departure.  He told of the prediction of His betrayal by one of His own, one of those at that very table. 

Luke 22:21-23 “But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table.  The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed.  But woe to that man who betrays him!  They began to question among themselves which of them it might be who would do this.”

He shared the bread and wine with His followers.

Luke 22:19-20 “And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”  And in the same way, after the supper He took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.”

More news for that evening, as He speaks of the denial by Peter. 

Luke 22:33-34 “But he replied, “Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death.”  Jesus answered, “I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me.”

Imagine after the Last Supper, Jesus and three disciples, John, Peter and James, walking to the Garden of Gethsemane to pray, before His arrest.

Matthew 26:42 “He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may Your will be done.

His spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak.  He said this prayer three times, checking on His disciples after each prayer, finding them sleeping.

Jesus knew of the betrayal by one of His disciples.  He knew of the denial by a friend and follower.  He knew of His arrest and crucifixion.  He knew it all.  But was willing to endure – for us – for you and for me.  The sheer wonder of this still astonishes me!  Who else, other than my Savior, would do this for me, knowing exactly what He would bear.   

We know the answer.  He is the answer.  He is THE ONE who would die for you and for me.  He, and He alone. 

Have I ever told ya I love the Resurrection season!  What a powerful time!  Anyone who knows me or has read anything from me during this time of year certainly knows!  Shout it!  We love You, Lord, and thank You for sacrificing the punishment of your body and Your life for us!

Prayerfully, your sister in Him,

Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment