Saturday, March 15, 2014

Hello, from the heart, from "His Kindness Year Round"


I haven’t shared with anyone my addition or subtraction for Lent.  I had been asking the Lord what He wanted me to do during the season.  I didn't know my answer until the day before Ash Wednesday.  It’s very different from any prior years, and may sound odd.  So, I’ll need to explain.

I am to go forth and make my presence known.  You may be thinking this sounds strange.  It does.  It doesn’t mean I’m to walk in a room and announce my arrival.  No, I am not to stand on a chair and shout or wave or wear neon or dye my hair a brilliant color to gain attention.  The intent is not to gain attention, but to be present, introduce myself to others, gently connect with those I know, and with those I don’t.

For quite some time, I’ve been one to speak to a stranger in a parking lot or elevator or the grocery store or any place in which I feel safe in doing so.  It doesn’t need to be a lengthy conversation, but a smile, a hello, a wave, an “It’s a beautiful day today, isn’t it?” sort of conversing.  This includes people I know, and people I don’t.  Engage with them; make them feel welcome, even if I’m the visitor. 

On behalf of the receiving end, I can personally state it may be the only greeting or smile (or hug if it’s someone you know who likes hugs) a person receives that particular day.  And it does mean a great deal. It’s not trivial or unnecessary. It’s very important.  

Still sound a bit unusual?  I realized the purpose of God’s instruction a week after Ash Wednesday.  I had been at a group function three days prior.  I was acquainted with some of the attendees and not with many others.  I noticed a lady I had seen before, did not know her, and didn’t speak to her that evening.  I’ll have the opportunity to speak to her another time.  Goodness, I couldn't go around speaking to everyone in attendance.   

But that occasion will never arise to say hello on earth.  Three days after seeing her, she went to be with the Father in heaven.  I didn't choose to speak, offer a smile or introduce myself.  And now the door is closed.

In Paul's letters, he repeatedly mentions greeting our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.  

2 Corinthians 13:12-14 "Greet one another with a holy kiss.  All God's people here send their greetings.  May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all."

Philippians 4:21 "Greet all God's people in Christ Jesus.  The brothers and sisters who are with me send greetings."

Titus 3:15 "Everyone with me sends you greetings.  Greet those who love us in the faith.  Grace be with you all."

I've been richly blessed during this time of going "forth and making my presence known"!  I will continue to do so long after Resurrection Sunday.  

Hello, my name is,

Robin 

No comments:

Post a Comment