Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Recent reflections from "His Kindness Year Round"


Proverbs 27:19 “As water reflects the face, so one’s life reflects the heart.”

I recently read the true story of a successful businesswoman meeting a pre-teen boy, an exchange that changed both their lives forever. He was a child without a childhood, subjected to a life of adults with drug addictions. He was caring for himself the best he could.

This book had a strong impact on me.  It caused me to reflect upon a couple of very important aspects in life, and a reminder not to take the 'little' things for granted, such as a toothbrush.  

I really began to contemplate and focus on how I need to ensure to be grateful for everything I have, "one of the most important lessons a person can hope to learn".  And I don't necessarily mean material items, but also vital intangible things and people in life.

Quoting the author about the book, "Most of all, this is a book about how, if we learn to let go of fears and burdens and expectations, we can find ourselves plunged into the sweet, unplanned blessings of life." I've mentioned "firecracker blessings" many times before. These are unexpected blessings that pop up in your life during a day.  I'm being reminded to look for the many firecracker blessings that may spring up in my day. 

The book further strengthened a need in me for the desire of belonging.  For several years, I’ve spoken and written about spiritual family, spiritual community.  God instructed me a bit over three years ago to build spiritual family.  It has been a wonderful journey doing so, and also has seemed more challenging than I would have imagined.  There is a difference between building this core group of people from “any spiritual people” and “God-chosen spiritual people”.  Those people God has specifically put in my life have been for such a time as this.  Referring back to the book, the author writes, "Their hearts were sewn together with an invisible thread”.

Galatians 6:9-10 “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.  Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”

I was at a meeting in which the speaker made a comment that accurately describes my spiritual family:  interaction with those who have my area of passion.  He emphasized the ‘who’ in our lives (people) are more important than the things.  I speak a hearty AMEN to that! 

Even more importantly, we all need to make sure the WHO in our life is Jesus.  Who should hold our passion?  Who should be our focus?  Who should take our priority?  Who would we be without Him?  In the worldly setting, we may look important without Him, but that’s quite a false impression.  For without the Savior and His great love for us, we are nothing. 

Matthew 19:17 “Why do you ask Me about what is good? Jesus replied.  “There is only One Who is good.  If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

Prayerfully, your sister in Him,

Robin 

(Words written in Italics are from the book, An Invisible Thread, by Laura Schroff.)  





No comments:

Post a Comment