Friday, July 26, 2013

UP, UP, and AWAY! from "His Kindness Year Round"


This post was originally begun back in May of this year.  It's been 'drafting' since then, with changes from time to time.  A bit of a different blog post today.  

Apparently, this is a topic at hand for more people than I’d realized.  I have read the writings of several Christian authors, who I don’t know personally, about the subject.  I’ve also had several conversations with friends and acquaintances.

Subject:  the need for separation and specifically, temporary or long term separation from others. To be even more specific, the focus results from the hurts and challenges we can experience from relationships and the need to just be away from chaos.  

One writer felt betrayal from a loved one and spoke of the desire to close our hearts off from the world.  I've had those feelings.  The other writer mentioned that at a young age, she was taught by adults not to depend upon others; therefore, not allowing disappointment.  She was trained not to open up to others or make herself vulnerable to others, because of disappointment and pain they may cause.  OK, I've had those feelings too.  

2 Timothy 3:12 "Yes!  All who want to live a Godlike life who belong to Christ Jesus will suffer from others."

Over the past few years I’ve jokingly asked about the location of Walden Pond, from the famous book about isolation and self-dependence of man.  If only I could hide . . . . find that peace and tranquility and quiet.

In conversations with people I know, I’ve listened to the craving for time alone; time without stress and complications and demands of day-to-day life and relationships. 

On one hand, it’s reassuring to know that I’m not solo in that boat.  My feelings of the soul (mind, will and emotions) can become very strong if I allow them.  On the other hand, it’s sad at the need for so many to hope for precious time not dealing with gossip or negativity or theatrics or harm from others, or as sometimes termed, toxic situations or people.  

John 16:33 "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me.  Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows.  But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

Time alone is healthy to refresh and rejuvenate.  Time away from the day to day responsibilities and busyness of life is healthy (usually called vacation!) to refresh and rejuvenate.  Doing special things for ourselves is healthy, as long as it's within reason and responsibilities aren't neglected because of them.  

But isolation is not healthy.  We were not created to be set apart and totally self-dependent on a long term basis.  As long as we are on earth, we are going to experience difficult relationships and pain and hurts and negativity and human drama.  Sometimes we do need temporary or long term removal from a person or situation.  With guidance from the Holy Spirit, we pray and obey the Father's voice when we need to remove ourselves from such a situation, even if it's from someone we care about.  


Matthew 13:5 "I will never fail you.  I will never forsake you."

We greatly need fellowship.  It's very important for followers of Jesus to have relationships with other followers for encouragement, support, spiritual renewal, sharing of knowledge and accountability.  

Matthew 18:20 "Where two or more gather together because they are mine, I am there among them"

Proverbs 27:17 "Iron is made sharp with iron, and one made is made sharp by a friend." 


I still think about Walden Pond on occasion . . . . . for vacation, of course.  Who knows, maybe I'll see you there .  . . . 

Prayerfully, your sister in Him,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment