Friday, April 5, 2013

How are your relationships? . . . . from "His Kindness Year Round"

In life, we develop many relationships.  We have relationships with family members, neighbors, friends, spouses, co-workers, with ourselves, etc.  But I'm referring to the level of closeness or distance in the relationship we have with each individual.

Recently, I considered not commenting on something I wanted to tell a dear sister in Christ.  Depending upon events and circumstances in our lives, we may be sensitive to a particular topic at a specific time.  After sharing my thoughts, she thanked me and told me she didn't want a "tiptoe friendship" with me.  A tiptoe relationship is one in which we feel the need to tiptoe with what we share with a person.  It doesn’t mean we deceive a person, but hold back heartfelt words of truth. 

I've never thought about the number of people I feel comfortable enough to be completely honest, of course, with a Christian approach.  How many relationships have I held back my thoughts which I believed to be beneficial or needed to be said, yet did not speak because of the concern I would offend someone and cause anger or hurt, or because it would be uncomfortable to have the conversation?  How many "tiptoe relationships" versus real, heart-to-heart relationships do I have? 

In my own life, I have very few heart-to-heart relationships.  The much larger majority are tiptoe relationships. (And with some, the tiptoeing is very great!) 

I am not a superficial person.  The Lord is teaching me to be more confident and bold in Him and through Him.  The most important relationship, the most vital relationship, is our relationship with our Lord and Savior.  Is your relationship with Him a "tiptoe friendship", or a real, heart-to-heart friendship?  He knows everything you think and feel, everything you do, every desire of your heart, so why not share with Him?  He wants to hear from each of us, often.  And not only in times of want or need or desire, but everyday conversation, everyday praise.

John 15:15 “I do not call you servants anymore.  Servants do not know their master’s business.  Instead, I have called you friends. I have told you everything I have learned from my father.”

To God be all the glory, great things He has done, is doing, and will always continue to do!

Prayerfully, your sister in Him,

Robin

2 comments:

  1. Amen, Sister. I have become very tired of being in tiptoe relationships with people when I really want a heart-to-heart relationships instead.

    Thanks for a thought-provoking post.

    Blessings,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne,

    Spiritual maturity has given me the desire for more heart-to-heart relationships. And with the Lord being my best friend, I know He will bring the people to me that I can share that experience with. Thanks for your comments. Prayers and blessings with you as you develop your heart-to-heart relationships also.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete