Thursday, December 13, 2012

Singing a Psalm from "His Kindness Year Round"

Merry Christmas season!

Psalm 23:1a “The Lord is my Shepherd”

Several weeks ago, I began to silently recite the 23rd Psalm.  I kept getting ‘stuck’ on the first verse.  I could almost hear David playing his lyre and singing the Psalms.

“The Lord is my Shepherd” . . . . that means I am a sheep.  He knows His sheep by name and cares for us above the highest level possible to man.  He protects, guards, and keeps us safe.

As I repeated the verse . . . . the Lord is MY shepherd.  Not A shepherd -- but MY shepherd. The sheep know the voice of a shepherd.  They (we) are somewhat helpless and can’t take care of themselves well.  Sometimes they can’t find their own pastures or water. Sheep are very dependent on the shepherd, and good shepherds never leave their sheep alone. God knows each of us -- loves us for who we are. At the cross, the Good Shepherd gave up His life for his lambs.

As I continued to recite the rest of the Psalm, I was reminded of the greatness of our God . . . .

His provision in all situations;

His comfort in all circumstances; 

His guidance as He leads, giving us His Word as a guide book and the Holy Spirit as a guide; 

His restoration of our souls;

His walk with us, through the shadows, to the Light;

His offering of faith over any fear;

His supply of a rod to protect us and a cane-like staff to keep us from going astray;

His bounteous table set before us in front of our enemies -- a table of health and joy and peace and strength and purpose and love and victory;

His honor of anointing us, His chosen ones, with oil;

All this, as He overflows our cups . . . . not running out of mercy or grace or hope or love, welcoming us into His Kingdom;

His goodness and mercy following us;

As we “will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” 

John 14:2-3 “In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” 

2 Corinthians 1:3 "All praise to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.  He is the source of every mercy and the God who comforts us."

1 Chronicles 16:34 "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!  His faithful love endures forever."

As His child, He will personally take you with Him to His eternal home.  God will be with you on earth, through pain and illness and suffering and trials and grief and fatigue and fear and disappointment and loneliness and dark days -- we are with Him. Before you were born, He had already claimed you and reserved your room in heaven -- a room with your name on it. Life on this earth IS temporary.  We are here for a short time in comparison to our home in eternity.  Live preparing for your heavenly home.

Take time in this busy season to enjoy the Good Shepherd today!

Prayerfully, your sister sheep in Him,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment