Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sharing Life from “His Kindness Year Round” . . .

As we end the month of May, the last month of spring, I want to share a story I wrote over six years ago, in June of 2006.  As I recall, I’m the only person who has read this story.  It’s an especially personal story I entitled at the time, “Lee’s Bible”.

“My husband, Lee, had not been feeling well for a couple of months.  We had a strong relationship with each other and with God, Who pulled us through all the valleys in our lives.  I would tell myself and Lee that we are part of His plan, continuously being “works in progress”. 

I had been searching for Lee a Bible.  He had a nice hard leather bound one I had given him earlier, but I wanted to buy him a Study Bible.  My desire was to give him the Bible for Christmas, 2005, or for his birthday, in January, 2006.  Whenever I had the opportunity, I browsed the internet or local stores for a Bible I felt would be suitable for him. 

(At the time) A local contemporary Christian radio station gave away a Bible every Friday.  Listeners could register online once a day, every day.  I told Lee I was going to win him a Bible, but with life being very busy, I never registered.

On December 23, 2005, two days before Christmas, at 10:52 AM, my husband, best friend, and love of my life, unexpectedly passed away at the age of 45.  I have wonderful memories and carry him in my heart, but the chapter of Lee in my life on earth is over.  We had a very special relationship, and thanked God each day for bringing us together.  We valued and appreciated each other.  Although we didn’t know he was going to pass away, a couple of weeks prior to his death he told me that God would take care of me after he was gone.  I don’t know if Lee had the impression he wasn’t going to live.  He didn’t elaborate and I didn’t ask questions either, since I wasn’t expecting illness to soon take his life.

In early May of this year (2006), I was on the internet one Thursday evening and logged onto the contemporary Christian radio station website.  I decided to register for the Study Bible they were giving away the next day.  On Saturday, two days after I entered the drawing, I received a very special hardbound Study Bible from the radio station!  I’d only entered the contest once and won.  Coincidence?  No way!  It was Lee’s Bible which I really HAD won for him. 

This new chapter in my life has been a difficult one for me.  I didn’t ask for it and I didn’t want it.  There is a plan in life for everyone.  Lee’s life on earth is over, yet mine is not.  I miss his daily hugs and holding his hand.  I miss hearing him tell me he loves me.  I miss hearing him call my name.  I miss our dates and the tremendous quality time we spent together.  But I have his Bible, the one I won for him, just as I had promised.  And just as he promised, God is taking care of me now that he’s gone.  I always know Heavenly Father is with me and always will be.  Just as Lee is in my heart, and will be with me also.”

What a tremendous spiritual journey I have been on since this experience, and since writing this story six years ago.  Brothers and sisters in Christ, life is precious.  Please don’t take life, or those in it, for granted.  God breathed precious life into you.  Treasure it.  Take care of it.  Live the life He wants you to live. Our time on earth is very temporary, while our time in eternity is forever. 

2 Corinthians 1:3 “All praise to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.  He is the source of every mercy and the God Who comforts us.”

Matthew 28:20 “Be sure of this:  I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Psalm 34:18 “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; He rescues those who are crushed in spirit.”

Prayerfully, your sister in Him,

Robin

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story, Robin. Heartbreaking but beautiful how God showed his goodness, love, and glory!
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is good, isn't He!

    Sarah, I enjoy reading your blog so much. Your writings are so heartfelt and bring a smile to my face. God is blessing and will continue!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Robin,
    This is such a powerful message. Life is indeed precious and your poignant story reminds me not to take anyone in my life for granted. Thank you for sharing this glimpse into your heart.

    Love you,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne,

    Life is so special -- a wonderful gift from the Lord. I'm glad you are a dear sister in mine.

    Love you,

    Robin

    ReplyDelete