Monday, October 20, 2014

Are you a resident of Tuckered Town? from "His Kindness Year Round"

I read a book several years ago by Max Lucado entitled "Come Thirsty". A particular chapter entitled, "Hope for Tuckered Town" really resonated on my mind at that time, and it has recently come to mind again.

Sometimes when I go through trials, I will tend to focus on the circumstance, rather than the Father.When conditions seem to pile up higher and higher and higher -- I tend to see the situations, rather than the Father on the throne far above the circumstances.

Just a couple of weeks ago I remembered this particular chapter of Lucado's book. He explains how in Tuckered Town, people would get up each morning, start their cars, put then in neutral, and get out and push their cars. Sounds strange, and personally I think it is strange. His illustration was telling us God doesn't want us to push our cars. He wants us in the passenger seat for the ride, while He drives us according to His plan.

Galatians 3:3 "Are you so foolish?  After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?"
I’ve realized for the past several months, I was no longer allowing Him to drive my car, but I was revisiting Tuckered Town, starting the car each day, putting it in neutral, and pushing. (No wonder I've been feeling tuckered.) In reality, that's a very ridiculous idea. And in our spiritual lives, it's also very absurd. We have a Savior Who desires to drive for us through life, and rather than accepting His wonderful guidance and will for our lives -- His ideal plan for us -- we put Him aside and push our cars. And then wonder why the trial FEELS like a trial!

If you are trying to solve life's issues yourself, stop. God provided the Holy Spirit to help us in every capacity. Don't start your own car each morning and push. Don't put God into the passenger seat while you try to drive because the direction He's driving is not 'your' direction. Don't put Him in the passenger seat because you believe He's not driving fast enough to get you through the trial. He has us covered. He knows what He is doing. He is an all knowing God. He knows His plans for us. And they are the plans to keep us in obedience to His will.

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me."
Depend on God completely. Exercise your faith.  Let Him drive.  Throw your duplicate set of keys away, and sit in the passenger seat beside Him.  

Jeremiah 17:7 "Blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence."

Your sister in Him, riding along with the Father,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment