Friday, May 3, 2013

Difficult words to say . . . . from "His Kindness Year Round"

Most of us could admit there are certain words or phrases or topics we may feel uneasy talking about.

A very common word that I have felt difficulty in saying for a large part of my adult life:  good bye.

You may be thinking that sounds a bit odd. 

Growing up, I lived my entire life in one city.  I attended the same city school system (hence, same friends) through graduation, and attended the university in the same city.  I continued to live and work, same city, for a dozen years after college graduation.

Then it happened.  I moved!  I was out of the city I'd known and lived in my entire life. Out of my familiar and unto the unfamiliar.  But it was good, and I was extremely excited!  It was an adventure that I enjoyed and am grateful I experienced.  Before the move, I never thought about telling people whom I saw on a routine basis that I would be saying ‘good bye’.  Not forever, of course, but rather than seeing them regularly, the visits would be sporadic, as my routine would change. 

The last week before moving progressed and the farewells were told, I realized saying good bye was something I wasn't use to doing.  I didn't particularly enjoy it.  One may have thought I was going to the moon for the rest of my life!

After several years of the new routine in a beautiful city, on the move again, much further away, to another beautiful city, another great adventure I was also enthused about!  But 'it' happened all over again -- the farewells -- to those in my 'current home city' and in my 'old home city'.  I began to dislike 'that g-bye' word. 

Then another move, back closer to the first two home cities and another memory filled adventure indeed!  God has blessed me so well.

The most difficult good bye of our lives is to someone during an illness or death.  That last hug or ‘I love you’ or good bye.  The reality is the other farewells in our lives are temporary and nothing to angst about.  But some are permanent on earth, until once again we see their faces among the loved ones in Heaven. 

I don't cringe when I hear the word 'good bye' anymore.  In many instances it's still not my favorite word, but I know that for those who are followers of the Most High, it will always only be a temporary departing.  We'll embrace again one day:  either on earth or in heaven!  I certainly hope you're in that permanent group in heaven so all our good byes are temporary.

Joshua 1:9 “I command You; be strong and courageous!  Do not be afraid or discouraged.  For the Lord Your God is with you wherever you go.”

Isaiah 41:13 “I am holding you by your right hand; I, the Lord your God.  And I say to you, ‘Do not be afraid.  I am here to help you.’”

Prayerfully, your sister in Him,

Robin



No comments:

Post a Comment