Saturday, June 23, 2012

Listening to the Good Shepherd from "His Kindness Year Round"!

Hi to all – and Happy Summer, 
When I experience what I consider a joy in my life, I don’t complain about an abundance of blessings.  I enjoy the special goodness I receive.

When I experience what I consider unpleasantness in my life, tough times, or difficulties, I want these things to ‘go away’, disappear – and quickly!

I can’t even begin to convey to you the number of times in the past few months people have spoken of satan attempting to work in their lives.  Or the number of times I’ve heard Christian speakers and writers mention the work of the devil.  Or the number of times I’ve been reunited with John 10:10,

“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that you may have life, and have it to the full.”

You know I don’t believe in coincidence.  These repetitive messages are reminders from the Holy One.  On the radio in the car this week the passage of Psalm 31:24 was mentioned . . . . “Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.”

The Word of God is truth.  From beginning to end.  The story of John 10 tells the parable of the good Shepherd, Jesus, and His sheep – us.  He cares for His sheep; knows them (us) by name, and the sheep know His voice.  He is the gate – THE way to enter Heaven.  The Shepherd came so we could have life – a full, abundant life. 

Then the thief appears.  He is the villain, who only means to harm the sheep.  The thief, our enemy, is satan.  He has the job of liar, deceiver, and intimidator.  He thoroughly intends to kill, steal and destroy us – you and I.  He works every angle, every tactic he can.  As Pastor Sandra Kennedy stated recently, “Satan cannot tempt us beyond what we are able to bear.”  He wants to keep our focus off the Shepherd.  He wants to keep our ears from the voice of the Shepherd – outside the gate, a scattered flock. 

Think back to Job.  He was certainly tempted by the enemy (satan) and nearly destroyed.  He became discouraged.  But he didn’t fall to satan’s mental and physical temptations.  He stayed committed to God. 

Isaiah 41:13 “For I am the Lord, your God, Who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.”

It may be easy to succumb to the fears from the enemy.  Trade the fear for faith in our Father.  As a dear sister reminded me this week, keep your eye on the prize.  Look at the big picture.  God has a marvelous future for each of us.

The feelings of discouragement or being overwhelmed are human.  Temptations will arise as long as we remain on earth.  The ultimate prize is being face to face with our Lord.  Keep your sight on God’s glory!

Romans 8:15 “For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship.  And by Him we cry, ‘Abba, Father’”.

I’ve been reminded by another dear sister to cast my cares on Him, our Shepherd, our Provider, THE ONE WHO GIVES PEACE!  She wrote to me Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  

Don’t be anxious because of the devil’s trickery.  He will always try to accomplish his tasks.  (Don’t ya just want to say, “Stop it, devil!”)  Look to Jesus!

I read a devotion this week after the dear sister sent the passage above . . . . it included Philippians 4:6-7.  This same dear friend told me the verse of that day on a local Christian radio station was . . . . . Philippians 4:7 “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  (NO, not a coincidence; there is no such thing!)

Let’s finish the story in John 10 with versus 14–18:

“I am the good Shepherd; I know My sheep and My sheep know Me -- just as the Father knows Me and I know the Father – and I lay down My life for the sheep.  I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen.  I must bring them also.  They too will listen to My voice, and there shall be one flock and one Shepherd.  The reason My Father loves me is that I lay down My life – only to take it up again.  No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of My own accord.  I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again.  This command I receive from My Father.” 

There are sheep currently not in the pen.  They need to hear His voice and become part of His flock.  He sees, hears and cares about us all.  Will you help bring the lost sheep into the fold?  Will you share the story of the good Shepherd?

Prayerfully, your sister in Him,

Robin

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Robin,
    I love this message. How timely for me! The steps to walking in the victory Jesus won for us are not complex and they are simple. But they are so contrary to everything the "world" says that they sometimes seem hard to do.

    The pull of the "world" will get stronger and stronger with each passing month because the enemy knows his time grows exceedingly short. The good news is that our capacity to flow with the power of the Holy Spirit grows stronger and stronger, too, if we will "follow hard after Him." Greater is He that is in us than He that is in the world.

    Keep on reminding us to stay focused on Kingdom principles and Kingdom business and to cast our cares on the Lord. It's a message I always need to hear.

    Blessings,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anne,

    Thank you for your comments from the Holy Spirit! As another writing I have completed states (and I am waiting for the Lord's timing to post), we do often pull to the world rather than Him. The worldly forces are strong if we allow them. As each day passes, we have to keep our eye on Him and not stray, or else the tiny opening for the enemy will widen and widen and widen.

    Let's encourage each other to stay focused on Him. It is a vital requirement for abundant peace and joy in Him.

    Thanks again, Anne, for your encouragement and support. Many, many blessings to you!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete